An armed gang has freed a prisoner from a police van in southern France.
The accomplices knocked a female guard to the ground and shot at the van in the town of Tarascon. The prisoner was being transferred from Beziers prison, 150km (90 miles) to the west. He was due to appear before judge on charges of armed robbery.
This is the second dramatic escape by a prisoner in less than a year in France. Last July gangster Rédoine Faïd broke out of prison in a hijacked helicopter. He was captured in Paris three months later.
The attack in Beziers happened at about 08:30 on Monday. The guards had left the van to ring the doorbell to the courthouse when the gang struck, prison guard representative Nicolas Burtz told AFP news agency. The female prison guard refused to let the prisoner go and was knocked to the ground. No-one was injured in the shooting.
According to Karim Terki, a union representative, the unnamed detainee had tried to escape prison before. “The authorities are really naive. He played nice for several months in order to try to escape again,” Mr Terki said.
US police have arrested a man suspected of killing five people, including his parents, in two separate but related shootings in the state of Louisiana.
Saturday’s shootings were in Livingston and Ascension parishes, south of Louisiana state capital Baton Rouge.
Authorities said the other victims are a woman thought to be his girlfriend, and her brother and father. Police believe Mr Theriot stole his father’s grey and silver Dodge Ram pick-up truck, before driving to shoot his parents, Keith and Elizabeth Theriot. He had a gun with him at the time of his arrest, which authorities say he dropped without confrontation. He faces charges of first-degree murder, illegal use of a weapon and home invasion.
Authorities say Dakota Theriot was in a relationship with 20-year-old Summer Ernest, and that Mr Theriot had been staying with her family for several weeks.
At around 09:00 local time (15:00 GMT), police were called to a trailer park in Livingston parish, where they found Summer, her father Billy Ernest, 43, and her brother Tanner Ernest, 17, shot and killed in their mobile home.
Five young people have been sentenced for their part in the killing of a 17-year-old boy amid a dispute fuelled by a YouTube drill music video.
Lyrico Steede, 17, was lured to a park in Nottingham after he appeared in a rap video mocking his attackers. While he lay dying in hospital, the man who stabbed him appeared in a response video bragging about violence.
Two of the killers were found guilty of murder while three were found guilty of manslaughter.
During their trial, Nottingham Crown Court heard Lyrico, known as Rico, was ambushed on 13 February last year after meeting up with a female defendant at the park on Hempshill Lane in Bulwell. Prosecutors said she had “lured” and “trapped” Lyrico after exchanging messages on Snapchat, and waited until her co-defendants arrived to attack him.
He ran away and was chased through the streets, but tripped up and was repeatedly stabbed, leaving him bleeding heavily with wounds to his face, chest and leg. After seeking help, he was taken to hospital, where he died five days later.
Violent crime recorded by police in England and Wales has risen by 19%, latest figures show.
The number of homicides – including murder and manslaughter – has risen from 649 to 739, an increase of 14%, and the highest total since 2008.
Robbery went up by 17%, as did recorded sexual offences, according to the Home Office data released by the Office for National Statistics (ONS). The figures cover the 12 months to the end of September 2018.
Overall crimes recorded by police went up by 7% in that period, with a total of 5,723,182 offences recorded.
There has also been an increase in stalking and harassment offences recorded by police, which have risen by 41%. The ONS said it was likely that improvements in the way such crimes are recorded were likely to be behind the rise.
Dozens of Afghan security personnel were killed by Taliban militants who overran a military intelligence base near Kabul, officials have confirmed.
At least 43 people were killed and 54 injured in the attack, the NDS intelligence service said.
Insurgents blew their way into the base using a car bomb before opening fire. Some reports put the toll at over 100. It is one of the deadliest attacks on the secret service and follows a string of battlefield setbacks for the army.
Monday’s attack on the National Directorate for Security (NDS) base in central Wardak province came hours before the Taliban held another round of peace talks with US diplomats in Qatar.
Reports say the base in Maidan Shahr, about 30km (19 miles) south-west of Kabul, is a training centre for pro-government militia members.