There must be “no excuses” for not cutting crime, Home Secretary Priti Patel has told senior police officers.
Speaking at a conference in central London, Ms Patel signalled the return of national targets, saying “outcomes” in key areas would be measured.
The home secretary added she would be “unapologetic” about holding police to account. It came as ministers continued to dismiss allegations of bullying in the Home Office.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has pledged to recruit 20,000 new police officers in England and Wales within three years – almost reversing the reduction in numbers since the Conservatives came to power in 2010.
Speaking at the the National Police Chiefs’ Council and Association of Police and Crime Commissioners summit in Westminster, Ms Patel said she expected people to be able to see a difference when the new officers were in post, such as less crime and safer streets.
Ten people have been killed in Delhi amid clashes over a controversial new Indian citizenship law during US President Donald Trump’s first official visit to the country.
This is the deadliest violence the Indian capital has seen in decades.
The clashes first broke out on Sunday, ostensibly between protesters in favour of the law and those against it. But they have since taken on religious overtones, with Hindu and Muslim mobs clashing violently.
The clashes are happening in Muslim-majority neighbourhoods in north-east Delhi – about 18km (11 miles) from the heart of the capital, where Mr Trump has been holding meetings with Indian leaders, diplomats and businessmen.
The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) – which critics say is anti-Muslim – has sparked massive protests since it was passed last year, and some of those have turned violent. But the demonstrations in Delhi have been peaceful until now.
Footage of Manchester Arena bomber Salman Abedi watching music fans arrive for a Take That gig days before his attack has been shown to a jury.
Abedi can be seen looking at long box office queues, just yards from the spot where, four days later on 22 May 2017, he killed himself and 22 others. Hashem Abedi, 22, is on trial at the Old Bailey in London, accused of helping his brother plan the attack. He denies 22 murders, attempted murder, and conspiring to cause explosions.
The attempted murder charge encompasses the scores of people who survived the attack, which happened at the end of an Ariana Grande concert.
The jury was shown CCTV footage in which Salman Abedi travels to the Arena venue, spending more than a minute in the City Rooms section where crowds can be seen milling around him. He then leaves for the nearby Arndale shopping centre, where he buys four nine-volt batteries and a large blue Kangol suitcase, used to transport his bomb-making equipment to his Manchester city centre flat.
A car has been driven into a crowd at a carnival parade in the western German town of Volkmarsen.
At least 10 people are thought to have been injured, local media report. A police spokesman said the driver had been detained.
Eyewitnesses quoted in the German media say the driver accelerated toward the crowd and appeared to target children. The motive and nature of the incident are as yet unclear. Emergency workers are at the scene.
Local reports say a silver Mercedes drove through plastic barricades set up for the parade and into a group of people at about 14:30 local time (13:30 GMT).
Images on social media show a car matching that description surrounded by emergency vehicles.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a stabbing inside a central London mosque.
The victim, in his 70s, was injured in an attack at London Central Mosque, near Regent’s Park, which police are not treating as terror-related. He was taken to hospital by paramedics where his condition has been assessed as non-life threatening.
A 29-year-old man was apprehended by worshippers who broke from prayer to restrain him until police arrived.
In a statement, the mosque said the injured man was the muezzin, the person who makes the call to prayer, and he had been stabbed shortly after 15:00 GMT during afternoon prayer. The mosque’s director general, Dr Ahmad Al Dubayan said he had a brief phone conversation with the muezzin in hospital, who said he was “okay and feeling well”.
Ayaz Ahmad, an adviser to the mosque, said the stabbing “would have been life-threatening if it wasn’t for the worshippers”.