Schools in areas with a higher risk of youth violence should be given dedicated police officers, say MPs.
The Home Affairs Committee criticised the government’s current violence reduction strategy as “completely inadequate”. It called on the new prime minister, Boris Johnson, to take “personal responsibility” for tackling knife and gun crime among young people. But the Home Office said the MPs failed to fully recognise its action on crime.
In its report, the committee called for more investment into neighbourhood policing – including a commitment to get a dedicated police officer into “all schools in areas with an above-average risk of serious youth violence” by April 2020. It said by committing the money for the officers in the government’s autumn spending review, it would become part of a drive to “rebuild vital links” with the communities affected.
The report has been published as part of the committee’s inquiry into youth violence for which MPs have heard evidence from campaigners, victims’ families, doctors, senior police officers, children’s charities and criminologists.
The US federal government’s move to resume executions after a 16-year hiatus has drawn sharp criticism from rights groups and leading Democrats.
Several candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination called for the death penalty to be abolished.
On Thursday Attorney General William Barr said five inmates would be executed. They had been convicted of murders or rapes of children or the elderly, he said. The executions have been scheduled for December 2019 and January 2020.
“Under administrations of both parties, the Department of Justice has sought the death penalty against the worst criminals,” Mr Barr said in a statement. “The Justice Department upholds the rule of law – and we owe it to the victims and their families to carry forward the sentence imposed by our justice system.”
Mr Barr’s announcement lifts what was an informal moratorium on the federal death penalty – as opposed to state-directed executions – since the 2003 execution of Louis Jones Jr, a 53-year-old a Gulf War veteran who murdered 19-year-old soldier Tracie Joy McBride.
North Korea has fired two short-range missiles into the sea, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.
They were launched over the sea early on Thursday, from Wonsan on North Korea’s east coast.
A JCS official said at least one of the missiles travelled about 690km (428 miles) and appeared to be a new design. It marks the first time North Korea has fired any missiles since leader Kim Jong-un’s impromptu meeting with Donald Trump late last month. It also comes after anger from the North over planned military exercises between South Korea and the US, an annual event. The North warned they could affect the resumption of denuclearisation talks.
The first missile was launched at about 05:34 Thursday local time (20:34 GMT Wednesday) and the second at 05:57, said the JCS.
Iran says it has arrested 17 spies who it says were working for the CIA, and sentenced some of them to death.
The intelligence ministry said the suspects had been collecting information in the nuclear, military and other sectors.
US President Donald Trump has dismissed the Iranian allegations, saying they are “totally false”. Washington and Tehran are at loggerheads over Iran’s nuclear programme and tensions have grown.
Mr Trump last year abandoned the international nuclear deal with the Iranians, and the US has imposed sweeping economic sanctions on them. In recent weeks, the two countries came close to military conflict in the Gulf.
Speaking shortly after the Iranian announced on the arrests, Mr Trump said: “It’s getting harder for me to want to make a deal with Iran.”