In late October 2016, the residents of the tiny Bahamas island of Man-O-War Cay found a mysterious object had washed up on their beach.
Taller than a person, conical in shape with a large spike at the end, it looked unmistakably like some sort of missile. “People were curious of course, the kids were excited to see something so large on the beach,” local resident Mailin Sands said.
It had washed up right in front of the holiday home of Prof Janine Maddock, who was back in the US at the time and spied it from a CCTV camera at the top of her house. “I got an email from a local person – saying look what’s rushed up in front of our beach,” she said.
From pictures she was sent, Prof Maddock identified it as the nose cap section of a Trident II D5 missile. She told the story after hearing the news of a reported misfire of a UK Trident missile last June.
Prof Maddock initially thought it may have come from the UK missile, although the US Navy confirmed the object had come from one of their tests.
Ukrainian officials are preparing for a possible evacuation of the eastern frontline town of Avdiivka amid renewed fighting with pro-Russian rebels.
If evacuation takes place, officials say up to 8,000 people could be removed each day from the government-held town, which has no water or electricity.
Shelling and the deaths of several more people were reported by both sides on Tuesday. Each blames the other for the upsurge in violence.
It erupted despite an attempt to renew a ceasefire last month. Ukrainian forces say the outbreak began when rebels launched an attack on Avdiivka, which borders land controlled by the separatists.
Seven soldiers and a number of rebels have been killed in recent days, and there have been civilian casualties on both sides but precise numbers are unclear.
For several hours 200 coal miners were trapped underground on Tuesday when shelling cut power at a pit in the rebel-run area of Donetsk. Engineers at Zasyadko eventually managed to get generators working and started bringing the miners back to the surface. “Everything is going bad,” a resident in Avdiivka said. “People are scared and try to go out. It’s very cold. There are bread queues. Only a few shops are open,” said the woman, who identified herself as Nadiya.
The Saudi-led coalition battling Yemen’s Houthi rebels says two crew members have been killed in an attack on one of its warships in the Red Sea.
A coalition statement said three Houthi “suicide boats” had approached a Saudi frigate west of Hudaydah on Monday.
One of the boats collided with the rear of the frigate and exploded, causing a fire, the statement added. However, a rebel-controlled news agency cited a source as saying the warship had been hit by a guided missile.
In October, the Houthis were accused of firing missiles at a US warship and a civilian logistics ship chartered by the military of the United Arab Emirates.
The US-backed coalition has fought the rebels since March 2015, when they forced Yemen’s internationally recognised President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi into exile. More than 10,000 people have been killed and 40,000 wounded since then, according to the UN.
The US has carried out a commando raid on an al-Qaeda stronghold in central Yemen, killing 14 militants, the military says.
One US soldier died and three were injured.
Several Apache helicopters were reported to have taken part in the operation in al-Baida province. Three al-Qaeda leaders were among those killed in a battle lasting 45 minutes in a village in Yakla district. Earlier reports suggested a higher death toll.
US drones have carried out periodic attacks on al-Qaeda in Yemen. Local sources earlier said 41 militants and 16 civilians were killed.
A provincial official said the helicopters targeted a hospital, school and mosque.
A petition to stop US President Donald Trump’s UK state visit has gathered more than a million signatures.
Numbers of signatories have been rising rapidly since a US clampdown on immigration came into effect over the weekend, causing anger worldwide.
PM Theresa May announced the visit during her recent US trip. Downing Street has rejected calls for it to be cancelled as a “populist gesture”.
Labour’s Jeremy Corbyn urged the PM to postpone the visit. The petition is now the second-most popular on the government’s website. MPs will discuss it on Tuesday. It states: “Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.”