Armoured & Luxury
Chauffeur Driven Cars

Discreet Professional Protection

Knifeman Arrested By Police At The Eiffel Tower

A man is being held by police in Paris after he tried to force his way into the Eiffel Tower brandishing a knife.

He was “very quickly overpowered and arrested” and no-one was hurt, the company that runs the landmark said.

France has been under a state of emergency since the November 2015 attacks in the capital that left 130 people dead.

The incident at the Eiffel tower happened at 23:30 pm (21:30 GMT) on Saturday night. After the arrest, police evacuated the tower.

The detained man, wearing a Paris Saint-Germain football shirt, shouted “Allahu Akbar” – God is greatest – as he broke through security, a source told AFP news agency.

The tower was lit up with PSG’s team colours and hosted a screen displaying a message welcoming Brazilian star Neymar to the club.

French prosecutors have opened a counter-terrorism investigation because of the suspect’s statements to police and his apparent radicalisation. The unnamed source said the knifeman was aged about 19 and had a history of psychological problems. He told investigators that he wanted to attack a soldier and that he had been in contact with a member of the Islamic State terror group, the source added.

North Korea reports ‘the US will pay the price’ For Drafting In New Sanctions

North Korea has vowed to retaliate and make “the US pay a price” for drafting fresh UN sanctions over its banned nuclear weapons programme.

The sanctions, which were unanimously passed by the UN on Saturday, were a “violent violation of our sovereignty,” the official KCNA news agency said.

Separately, South Korea says the North has rejected an offer to restart talks, dismissing it as insincere. The sanctions will aim to reduce North Korea’s export revenues by a third.

Read More

British Tourist Shot In Brazil

The Foreign Office is in touch with authorities in Brazil following reports a British woman was shot after mistakenly driving into a favela.

A couple and their three children were travelling in Angra dos Reis when their car was approached by an armed group, Brazilian newspaper O Globo reported.

According to the paper, the woman was shot in the abdomen on Sunday but is not thought to be at risk of death. The rest of the family were unhurt, the paper reported.

O Globo said the family had apparently been in search of the waterfront district of Angra dos Reis – a coastal resort about 90 miles (145 km) from Rio de Janeiro.

According to the O Dia newspaper, they ended up in the Agua Santa community – a slum area known to have drug traffickers – because of a difficulty in understanding directions. Authorities told O Globo the family were shot at after they were told to leave their car by armed men but did not understand the request.

Brazilian media said the woman was in a stable condition after she underwent surgery in hospital.

A UK Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are in touch with the local authorities in Angra dos Reis, Brazil, following reports of the shooting of a British national.”

Terror Suspect Tried To Plant Bomb On Unsuspecting Brother

A terror suspect in Australia tried to smuggle a bomb on to a plane by planting it on his unsuspecting brother, say Australian police.

The plan was one of two alleged terror plots recently uncovered by authorities, who made several arrests across Sydney on Saturday.

The suspects were allegedly aided by the so-called Islamic State (IS). The other plot involved building and setting off a device that could release toxic gas in a public enclosed space.

Police said the plans had been “completely disrupted”.

Australian Federal Police (AFP) Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan said this was “one of the most sophisticated plots that has ever been attempted on Australian soil”. He said two suspects had built and concealed a “high-end” military-grade explosive in a piece of luggage.

Read More

Man From Oxford Wanted In The US On Murder Charge

Police in the US say they “have an idea” of the whereabouts of an Oxford University college finance officer who is suspected of stabbing a 26-year-old man to death in Chicago.

Andrew Warren, 56, and his alleged accomplice, American Prof Wyndham Lathem, 42, have been urged to turn themselves in by police.

Restrictions are in place to prevent the pair leaving the country.

Trenton Cornell-Duranleau was found dead in Prof Lathem’s flat on 27 July. Officers say the victim, a hairdresser who lived in Chicago, was found with multiple stab wounds in the 10th floor apartment.

Andrew Warren is a senior treasury assistant at Oxford’s Somerville College. Court files give his address as the Oxford college but he says on Facebook that he lives in Swindon, Wiltshire, and is a former cashier and driver for Stagecoach.

Read More