Armoured & Luxury
Chauffeur Driven Cars

Discreet Professional Protection

Police Report Truck Driven At Pedestrians In Manchester

A pick-up truck was driven at pedestrians in Manchester city centre, police have said.

A man was hit when the Isuzu D-Max Fury vehicle was “deliberately” driven at people on Well Street at about 23:20 BST on Sunday.

Police say it was a “targeted attack” but “not terror-related”. The man who was struck left the scene in a BMW and the truck chased him for a short time.

The car window was smashed but the man was not seriously injured.

Ch Insp Gareth Parkin, of Greater Manchester Police (GMP), appealed for witnesses. “This was the city centre and there were lots of people in the area who would have witnessed the commotion,” he said.

Ukrainian Soldiers Killed In Heavy Battle

The Ukrainian military says five of its soldiers died in heavy rebel shelling of Ukrainian army positions at Avdiivka just north of rebel-held Donetsk.

Three Ukrainian troops died earlier when a mine blew up, the military said.

The US Department of State called it “the deadliest one-day period in 2017” in the eastern Ukraine conflict.

In a video tweet on Thursday, the state department blamed the “Russian-led” rebels for the flare-up and urged both sides to observe the fragile ceasefire. The rebels also reported clashes on Thursday but did not confirm the Ukrainian death toll.

The UN says more than 10,000 people have died since the eastern Ukraine conflict erupted in April 2014, soon after Russia annexed Ukraine’s Crimea peninsula. The fighting has displaced more than 1.6 million people.

A ceasefire was agreed in Minsk in February 2015, but its terms are far from being fulfilled. A Ukrainian military statement on Facebook said the pro-Russian rebels fired mortars, grenades and machine guns in the Avdiivka area, and Ukrainian troops returned fire.

It was the most intense fighting since 11 June when four Ukrainian soldiers were killed.

Western governments accuse Russia of helping the rebels with regular troops and heavy weapons. Moscow denies that, while admitting that Russian “volunteers” are helping the rebels.

On Tuesday the Donetsk rebel chief, Alexander Zakharchenko, announced plans to create a new “state” to replace Ukraine. He called it “Malorossiya” (Little Russia) – but the Kremlin later dismissed it as just his “personal initiative”.

Americans To Be Banned From Visiting North Korea

The US is to ban its citizens from travelling to North Korea, according to two agencies that operate tours there.

Koryo Tours and Young Pioneer Tours said the ban would be announced on 27 July to come into effect 30 days later. They were informed by the Swedish embassy, which conducts US affairs in the country.

The US has not yet confirmed the ban but there has been momentum, given the worsening ties and the death of jailed American student Otto Warmbier.

Mr Warmbier travelled to North Korea with Young Pioneer Tours. He was arrested in 2016 for trying to steal a propaganda sign and sentenced to 15 years in prison. He was returned to the US in a coma in June and died a week later.
Koryo Tours and Young Pioneer Tours both revealed on Friday that they had been told of the upcoming ban by the Swedish embassy, which acts for the US as Washington has no diplomatic relations with Pyongyang.

Read More

President Trump Ceases Arms Programme To Syrian Groups

US President Donald Trump has ended the CIA’s clandestine programme to provide weapons and supplies to Syrian rebel groups, officials have said.

The programme began in 2013 as Mr Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama, decided to put pressure on President Bashar al-Assad to stand down.

The decision to halt it was made almost a month ago, by which time the flow of arms had already slowed significantly.
The officials said the move was part of an effort to improve ties with Russia.

Russia’s military support has helped Mr Assad hold on to power during the six-year civil war that has left more than 300,000 people dead and displaced 11 million others.

The Washington Post newspaper was the first to report the end of the CIA weapons programme on Wednesday night.

Read More

Crime On The Rise According To Office For National Statistics

Crime in England and Wales has seen its largest annual rise in a decade, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The total number of crimes reported to and recorded by the police rose by 10% between April 2016 and March 2017 to almost five million.

Violent crime was up by 18%, robbery by 16% and sex offences by 14%. Yet the Crime Survey of England and Wales, based on people’s experiences of crime, showed a 7% drop.

The Crime Survey is always published on the same day as the ONS figures. Its results are based on a face-to-face survey of 38,000 adults and children in which they are asked about their experiences of crime in the previous year – which means it does include crimes that are never reported to the police.

In the ONS statistics, nearly five million crimes were recorded by the police in the last year – 458,021 more than the previous year.

Read More