Armoured & Luxury
Chauffeur Driven Cars

Discreet Professional Protection

Anzac Day Could Be A Target For Terrorists Australia Warns

The Australian government has warned that terrorists may seek to target Anzac Day commemorations in Turkey later this month.

The anniversary on 25 April marks the first major battle involving Australia and New Zealand in World War One.

Australian Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Dan Tehan said his government had received information of a possible threat to Turkey’s Gallipoli peninsula. He did not detail the information but urged travellers to be cautious. “Ultimately, it is up to the traveller to make the final decision on whether to travel or not,” Mr Tehan said.

Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade updated its travel advice for Turkey but did not lift a warning classification level. “We have confidence in the Turkish authorities to secure the peninsula and other celebrations in the area,” said Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan.

In 2015, about 15,000 Australians travelled to Gallipoli for the centenary of Anzac Day.

Russian Police Discover Bomb In City Flat Raid

An explosive device has been made safe in a flat in St Petersburg by Russian police, three days after a suspected bomber on the city’s metro killed 13 people.

A city official said several suspects were held when police raided the flat early on Thursday, Ria Novosti said.

Neighbours were moved away and witnesses said three men were led out in handcuffs, the news agency added.

The main suspect in the metro bombing, Akbarzhon Jalilov, died in the attack. Aged 22 and from the Central Asian republic of Kyrgyzstan, his remains were identified by his parents on Wednesday.

The flat raided at around 05:00 local time (01:00 GMT) on Thursday was in Tovarichesky Prospekt in the east of St Petersburg. “An explosive device found in the flat has been made safe. Several suspects have been arrested; they didn’t resist and there’s now no threat to local people,” the head of the local authority Konstantin Serov was quoted as saying.

Read More

Six Arrested In Russia For IS Recruiting

Six people have been detained in St Petersburg suspected of recruiting for so-called Islamic State (IS) and aiding terrorist activity, investigators say.

The suspects are from Central Asian countries and have been active since November, Russian officials add.

There is no evidence they are connected with Akbarzhon Jalilov, a Kyrgyzstan-born man suspected of bombing St Petersburg’s metro. Monday’s attack killed 14 people and injured almost 50.

Those detained had been recruiting other Central Asian immigrants in St Petersburg “to carry out terrorist crimes” and to join “illegal armed groups”, including IS, Russia’s state investigative committee said in a statement. Extremist Islamist literature was found during a search of their living quarters, it added. No other details have been given.

Meanwhile, investigations continue about the alleged metro attacker, his motives and whether he had any links to radical movements. No group has said it was behind the attack. There is speculation that the attack was retribution for Russia’s air raids on Islamist militants in Syria.

Read More

North Korea Test Fire Ballistic Missiles

North Korea has test-fired a medium-range ballistic missile from its eastern port of Sinpo into the Sea of Japan.

South Korea’s defence ministry said the missile flew about 60km (40 miles). It is the latest in a series of tests which the North has been conducting in pursuit of its goal of developing a nuclear missile.

The launch comes on the eve of a visit by China’s President Xi Jinping to the US to meet President Donald Trump. The two will discuss how to rein in North Korea’s nuclear and missile programmes as the US steps up the pressure on China, a historic ally of Pyongyang, to help more on the issue.

Mr Trump said in a recent interview that Washington was ready to act without Beijing’s co-operation: “If China is not going to solve North Korea, we will.”

The North is banned from any missile or nuclear tests by the UN, though it has repeatedly broken those sanctions.

Read More

Dozens Killed In Syria Chemical Attack

At least 58 people have been killed and dozens wounded in a suspected chemical attack on a rebel-held town in north-western Syria, a monitoring group says.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that strikes on Khan Sheikhoun by Syrian government or Russian jets had caused many people to choke.

Later, aircraft fired rockets at local clinics treating survivors, medics and activists said.

The Syrian government has repeatedly denied using chemical weapons. If confirmed, it would be one of the deadliest chemical attacks in Syria since the civil war began six years ago.

The warplanes are reported to have attacked Khan Sheikhoun, about 50km (30 miles) south of the city of Idlib, early on Tuesday, when many people were asleep.

Read More