Armoured & Luxury
Chauffeur Driven Cars

Discreet Professional Protection

Mosque Gunman Sentenced To 21 Years By Norwegian Court

A Norwegian court has sentenced a gunman to 21 years in prison – with a minimum term of 14 years – for killing his teenage step-sister and opening fire at a mosque.

Philip Manshaus, 22, opened fire at the al-Noor Islamic Centre in Baerum, west of the capital Oslo, last August. Several shots were fired in the mosque but nobody was seriously hurt. Manshaus was overpowered before police arrived. It was treated as an act of far-right racist terror.

Police found evidence that Manshaus was inspired by Brenton Tarrant, accused of deadly attacks on two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch in March 2019. Tarrant has pleaded guilty to 51 charges of murder in New Zealand.

The 14-year minimum sentence for Manshaus is more than the minimum 10 years in the case of Anders Behring Breivik, the right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in Norway in 2011. Norway increased the minimum sentences for such cases in 2015.

Manshaus was heavily armed when he stormed into the mosque last August, but he was overpowered by a 65-year-old retired Pakistani air force officer, Mohammad Rafiq. He pinned Manshaus down and managed to disarm him.

Read More

Police Officers Attacked In Hackney

The home secretary and the Police Federation have condemned an attack on two police officers which was filmed by members of the public.

Video circulating on social media shows an officer struggling on the ground with a man in Frampton Park Road in Hackney, north London.

The attack was called “sickening” by Priti Patel, while the federation said: “We are not society’s punch bags.” Two men, aged 20 and 38, were arrested on suspicion of assault on police.

The officers, a man and a woman, suffered minor injuries but did not require hospital treatment, the Metropolitan Police said.

A member of the public, who had claimed to have been assaulted, flagged down the police on Wednesday afternoon and directed them to their alleged attacker.

In a statement, the Met said: “As an officer attempted to speak with those involved, one of the men resisted and a struggle ensued. A number of other people became involved whilst the officer was on the ground.”

Read More

US Cops Show Cancelled

One of America’s longest running reality TV cop shows has been cancelled amid nationwide protests against police brutality over George Floyd’s death.

Cable network Paramount said it had no plans for Cops, which first aired more than three decades ago, to return. The future of another reality ride-along cop show, Live PD, is in doubt.

The A&E cable TV network hit has been engulfed by controversy since the death of another unarmed black man who was heard pleading: “I can’t breathe.”

Cops ran for 25 years after first being broadcast on Fox in 1989, before it was taken up by Paramount’s predecessor, Spike TV, in 2013. Its 33rd season had been due to air on the ViacomCBS-owned network on Monday.

A Paramount spokesperson told US media on Tuesday: “Cops is not on the Paramount Network and we don’t have any current or future plans for it to return.”

Read More

Swedish Police Close Former Prime Minister’s Murder Case

Swedish prosecutors have named the man who they say killed former Swedish prime minister Olof Palme in 1986, ending years of mystery.

They said it was Stig Engstrom, a graphic designer known as “Skandia Man” who killed himself in 2000. As a result they were closing the investigation into Palme’s death, Chief Prosecutor Krister Petersson said.

Palme was shot in the back as he walked home from the cinema with his wife in Stockholm. He had already dismissed his security team for the day. The assassination took place on Sweden’s busiest road and more than a dozen witnesses saw a man fire the shots before fleeing the scene.

Palme’s son Marten told Swedish radio that he believed prosecutors had reached the right conclusion and were right to close the case.

Thousands of people have been interviewed over Palme’s death. A petty criminal was convicted of the killing but the verdict was later dismissed.

Read More

US Navy Veteran Released From Detention In Iran

A US Navy veteran is returning home after being freed from detention in Iran.

Michael White was sentenced to prison last year on unspecified charges, but was released temporarily on medical grounds to the Swiss embassy in March. He was arrested in 2018 after travelling to meet his girlfriend in the Iranian city of Mashhad. His release came on the day that Iran’s foreign minister announced the return from the US of an Iranian doctor.

US officials have yet to confirm the release of Majid Taheri, but a third man – an Iranian scientist detained in the US – was deported to Iran earlier this week.

Sirous Asgari, a materials science professor from Tehran, had been charged in 2016 with trying to trade secret research from an American university, but was acquitted in November.

Read More