Armoured & Luxury
Chauffeur Driven Cars

Discreet Professional Protection

Parole Board Says IPP Inmates Have Become A Critical Issue

More than half of prisoners freed after serving controversial indeterminate sentences for public protection are being sent back to jail for breaching licence conditions, MPs have been told.

Giving the figures in Parliament, Nick Hardwick, chairman of the Parole Board for England and Wales, said the matter had now become a “critical” issue. In the last year, 760 IPP inmates were recalled – up 22% from the year before. Monitoring of those released had been “lacking”, the prisons minister said.

What Are IPP Sentences?

Introduced by Labour in 2005, they were designed to ensure that dangerous offenders remained locked up until it was safe for them to be let out. Under the system, prisoners were given a minimum term – or tariff – which they would have to serve before the Parole Board then decided whether to free them on licence.

Read More

Teenager Charged With Fatal Stabbing At London Tube Station

A teenager has been charged with the murder of a man who was stabbed to death outside Parsons Green Tube station.

Omid Saidy, 20, of Fulham, was fatally wounded in the attack on Parsons Green Lane, west London, at 19:30 BST on Monday.

A 16-year-old boy accused of the killing is also charged with possession of a pointed or bladed article.

He will appear in custody at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

Crimewatch Comes To An End After 33 Years

Crimewatch, one of the BBC’s longest-running shows, is being axed after 33 years.

The programme, which asks viewers for help to track down criminals, is hosted by Jeremy Vine and Tina Daheley. The BBC said in a statement: “We are incredibly proud of Crimewatch and the great work it has done over the years. “This move will also allow us to create room for new innovative programmes in peak time on BBC One.” Daytime series Crimewatch Roadshow will continue. “We believe the successful Crimewatch Roadshow format in daytime is the best fit for the brand going forward and we will increase the number of episodes to make two series a year,” the BBC said.

The Sun, which first broke the story, said ratings had suffered as it was scheduled against Cold Feet and Broadchurch.

Three episodes have aired this year – in February and March – watched by an average of almost three million viewers. That is down from 14 million who watched at its peak.

Read More

One Man Dead And Two Injured In London Stabbing

A man has died and two others have been injured in a stabbing outside Parsons Green Tube station in London.

The attack happened just after 19:30 BST on Monday at the station where 30 people were injured in a terror attack last month.

A 20-year-old man died in the stabbing, which is not being treated as terror-related. The two injured people were taken to hospital and one was subsequently arrested.

The dead man’s next of kin have been informed although formal identification has yet to take place. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 20:30.

One man remains in hospital although his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening. The arrested man was taken to a west London police station for questioning.

Parsons Green Lane and the station were closed by police and cordons put in place. The station has since been re-opened.

Dozens Killed In Deadly Somali Bomb Attack

As many as 165 unidentified bodies have been buried after a massive bomb attack in the Somali capital Mogadishu on Saturday.

At least 276 people have died and the government news agency Sonna says only 111 of them have been identified. A Turkish military plane is taking 40 of the injured to Turkey for medical treatment.

It is the deadliest terror attack in Somalia since the Islamist al-Shabab group launched its insurgency in 2007. Some of the bodies were reportedly burnt beyond recognition.

Of those who were identified, one of the victims was a medical student who was due to graduate the next day. Her father had flown to Mogadishu to attend her graduation but instead witnessed her burial. No group has yet said it was behind the bombing. But President Mohamed Abdullahi “Farmajo” Mohamed blamed al-Shabab, calling it a “heinous act”.

Al-Shabab, which is allied to al-Qaeda, and which often attacks Mogadishu, normally claims them fairly quickly afterwards.

Read More