The Eiffel Tower has been evacuated after a bomb threat.
Police cordoned off the Parisian landmark around midday Wednesday after an anonymous phone call was made claiming explosives had been left there.
Armed officers could be seen at a cordon set up on nearby roads, while French media reported that explosives teams were searching the site. Roads leading to the landmark, in Paris’s 7th arrondissement, have been closed while people are being told to avoid the area.
Videos posted on social media showed police cars at the foot of the tower, with one poster tweeting: ‘Perimeter of Tour Eiffel cordoned off, police operation in progress.’
He said a police source had told him that a man ‘threatened to blow himself up’, but police would not verify this account.
The Eiffel Tower welcomes more than six million visitors a year, and regularly receives calls concerning security – many of which turn out to be hoaxes.
In 2018, perimeter defences including bullet proof glass screens were placed around the monument to protect against terror threats. Terrorist groups which have threatened it in recent years include Al-Qaeda and Isis. It has also been attacked by members of the anti-government Yellow Vest movement, which last year lit fires at the base of the tower, and destroyed perimeter fencing.