A prominent businessman has been abducted in County Fermanagh before being beaten and left at the side of a road in the Republic of Ireland.
Kevin Lunney, 50, a director of Quinn Industrial Holdings, was driving from work to his home in Kinawley when he was attacked at 18:40 BST on Tuesday. He was found 22 miles (35km) away beside a road in County Cavan at about 21:00 and taken to hospital.
Detectives on both sides of the Irish border are investigating the attack. Mr Lunney was badly beaten, suffering a broken leg and “other very severe but non-life-threatening injuries”, said a statement from Quinn Industrial Holdings. His car and another vehicle were found on fire near the Lunney family’s home.
Kevin Lunney was once a close associate of Sean Quinn, and worked with him in his attempts to regain control of the business empire that collapsed in 2012 after Mr Quinn made a disastrous investment in Anglo Irish Bank.
There were a series of attacks in 2014 on property belonging to the new owners, including a fuel tanker which was driven into the headquarters building and set on fire.
Former US marine Paul Whelan, accused in Russia of espionage, has said he is not a spy and that he was set up by a Russian friend.
Mr Whelan, who is also a citizen of the UK, Canada and Ireland, said a friend had planted a hard drive on him without his knowledge. The 48-year-old’s appeal against detention was denied by a Moscow court.
Prosecutors say he was caught “red-handed” with state secrets last year. The investigation has now ended, and Mr Whelan’s lawyers have begun studying the evidence.
Because it is an espionage case, all the information is classified. The US ambassador in Moscow has called on Russia to stop “playing games” with the case.
In a snatched conversation through the glass of his cage in court, Mr Whelan gave his side of the story for the first time. He said he had been set up, and had not committed any crime.
Police in Hong Kong have used water cannon and tear gas against protesters throwing petrol bombs and bricks near government offices in the city.
The violence broke out after thousands of pro-democracy demonstrators marched, despite being denied a police permit. Scuffles also broke out later between rival protesters around the city.
Earlier hundreds rallied outside the British Consulate, demanding the UK press China to maintain freedoms guaranteed during the 1997 handover.
The months of unrest were sparked by a proposed extradition bill, which would have made it possible for people in Hong Kong to be extradited to mainland China. Critics said they could have faced human rights abuses. The bill was at first shelved, then the government announced it would withdraw it completely, but that has failed to stem protester anger. They are calling for full democracy and an investigation into allegations of police brutality, among other demands.
Police had denied a permit for the march on Sunday, but thousands of people attended anyway, marching from Causeway Bay and Central, the main business and commercial district.
Body scanners used to screen passengers for hidden explosives and weapons are being used for the first time at a London railway station.
A Home Office sponsored five-day trial has started at Stratford station, east London.
Portable scanners are being used to screen passengers from up to 30ft away without them having to pass through a security checkpoint. The Home Office said the scheme was part of a “battle against knife crime”.
Policing Minister Kit Malthouse said: “No-one should feel they can walk the streets with a knife and expect to get away with it. “We are pulling out all the stops in a battle against knife crime in London and across the country.”
The scanners, built by British firm Thruvision, reveal objects hidden inside clothing that block body heat.
Sensitive cameras capable of screening 2,000 passengers an hour will enable officers to see the size, shape and location of any blade or gun. It does not show any intimate body parts, the Home Office said.
The US Department of Justice has said it will reveal a key name sought by people suing Saudi Arabia for alleged involvement in the 9/11 attacks.
It says the information will be shared with lawyers representing the victims’ families. It is unclear if the person’s identity will become public. Fifteen of the 19 al-Qaeda hijackers who staged the attacks were Saudis.
In 2004, the 9/11 commission set up by Congress found no evidence that the Saudi government funded al-Qaeda. However, a 2012 report by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said the agency was investigating Fahad al-Thumairy and Omar Ahmed al-Bayoumi, Saudi nationals who had allegedly helped the attackers.
Mr al-Thumairy is a former Saudi consulate official, and Mr al-Bayoumi was once investigated is suspected of being a Saudi intelligence officer, according to the Washington Post.
The FBI report, which was released in a redacted form, also referred to the third person. But the name was blacked out.