Armoured & Luxury
Chauffeur Driven Cars

Discreet Professional Protection

Bomb Alerts In Russia So Far Proven As Hoaxes

For four days running, towns and cities across Russia have been hit by a wave of bomb alerts.

Dozens of schools, shopping centres, railway stations and public buildings have been evacuated. Tens of thousands of people have been affected.

So far, all of the alerts have proved to be hoaxes and the public has been urged to remain calm.

The source of the threats is unclear but one official suggested they had originated outside Russia. «There’s reason to assume this was all organised abroad,» the official in Chelyabinsk told Interfax news agency.

Read More

More Sanctions Imposed On North Korea

The United Nations has imposed a fresh round of sanctions on North Korea after its sixth and largest nuclear test.

The measures restrict oil imports and ban textile exports — an attempt to starve the North of fuel and income for its weapons programmes.

The US had originally proposed harsher sanctions including a total ban on oil imports. The vote was only passed unanimously after Pyongyang allies Russia and China agreed to the reduced measures.

The sanctions, which were passed at a UN Security Council meeting on Monday, were met with anger by North Korea.

A statement on state news agency KNCA warned that if the US did eventually push through harsher sanctions, North Korea would «absolutely make sure that the US pays due price». The US call last week for a total ban on oil imports was seen as by some analysts as potentially destabilising for the regime.

The new sanctions agreed by the UN include:

Limits on imports of crude oil and oil products. China, Pyongyang’s main economic ally, supplies most of North Korea’s crude oil.

A ban on exports of textiles, which is Pyongyang’s second-biggest export worth more than $700m (£530m) a year.

A ban on new visas for North Korean overseas workers, which the US estimates would eventually cut off $500m of tax revenue per year.

A proposed asset freeze and a travel ban on North Korean leader Kim Jong-un were dropped.

The US ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley, told the Security Council after the vote: «We don’t take pleasure in further strengthening sanctions today. We are not looking for war.» A South Korean presidential office spokesman said on Tuesday: «North Korea needs to realise that a reckless challenge against international peace will only bring about even stronger sanctions against them.»

Monday’s resolution was the ninth one unanimously adopted by the UN since 2006.

What Have Previous Sanctions Achieved?

30 November 2016: UN targeted North Korea’s valuable coal trade with China, slashing exports by about 60% under a new sales cap. Exports of copper, nickel, silver, zinc and the sale of statues were also banned.

On 14 May 2017, North Korea tested what it said was a «newly developed ballistic rocket» capable of carrying a large nuclear warhead.

2 June 2017: UN imposed a travel ban and asset freeze on four entities and 14 officials, including the head of North Korea’s overseas spying operations.

On 4 July, North Korea claimed it carried out its first successful test of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

6 August: UN banned North Korean exports of coal, ore and other raw materials and limited investments in the country, costing Pyongyang an estimated $1bn — about a third of its export economy.

On 3 September, North Korea said it tested a hydrogen bomb that could be miniaturised and loaded on a long-range missile.

China’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday (link in Chinese) that North Korea had «ignored international opposition and once again conducted a nuclear test, severely violating UN Security Council resolutions». It also repeated its call for a «peaceful resolution» instead of a military response, adding: «China will never allow the peninsula to descend into war and chaos.»

Beijing is treading a fine line and wants sanctions tough enough to signal its displeasure to Pyongyang and avoid American accusations of complicity, but not so tough as to threaten North Korea’s survival.

Both Russia and China reiterated their proposal that the US and South Korea freeze all military drills — which anger North Korea — and asked for a halt in the deployment of the controversial anti-missile system Thaad, in exchange for Pyongyang’s cessation of its weapons programmes.

Beijing believes Thaad, which employs a powerful radar, is a security threat to China and neighbouring countries. Ms Haley last week dismissed this proposal as «insulting».

Two British Soldiers Charged Under Terror Laws

Three men, including two British soldiers, have been charged under terror laws with being members of a banned neo-Nazi group.

Alexander Deakin, 22, Mikko Vehvilainen, 32, and Mark Barrett, 24, have been charged with being members of National Action.

It was the first far-right group to be banned by the Home Office in 2016. They are among five men arrested on 5 September. Two others have since been released without charge.

Mr Deakin from Birmingham, Mr Vehvilainen, based at Sennybridge Camp in Brecon, and Mr Barrett, based at Dhekelia Garrison in Cyprus, will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

West Midlands Police has said the arrests were «pre-planned and intelligence-led» with no threat to public safety.

Read More

Military Base In Somalia Targeted By Al-Sabab Leaving Eight Dead

Militant Islamists have attacked a Somali military base and police station near the border with Kenya, killing eight soldiers, an official has said.

The al-Shabab militants rammed the base in Beled Hawa town with an explosives-packed vehicle, and then stormed it on foot, Mohamud Hayd Osman added.

Al-Shabab said it had killed 30 soldiers in the hit-and-run attack. It has carried out a spate of attacks in Somalia and Kenya since launching an insurgency more than a decade ago.

The African Union has an 18,000-strong force helping the UN-backed Somali government tackle the militants.

The assault on Beled Hawa also left dozens of civilians wounded.

The militants also blew up the police station and a phone mast, before retreating, Mr Osman added.

The assault shows that al-Shabab remains a dangerous force, despite losing territory to the AU force and some of its top commanders being killed in US air strikes.

In January, al-Shabab said it had killed 50 Kenyan soldiers in an assault on their base in Kolbiyow town in southern Somalia. Kenyan troops are part of the AU force in Somalia.

Police & Prison Officers Pay Cap To Be Lifted

The government is to lift the 1% public sector pay cap for the first time for both police and prison officers.

Ministers are expected to accept recommendations for higher pay rises this week and also to pave the way for similar increases in other sectors.

Public sector pay was frozen for two years in 2010, except for those earning less than £21,000 a year, and since 2013, rises have been capped at 1% — below the rate of inflation.

The higher increases expected this week for police and prison officers are based on the recommendations of independent pay review bodies, with recruitment and retention problems being cited in the case of prison officers.
The Treasury will then issue guidance on next year’s pay round, which is likely to see the cap eased in other areas where there are similar problems, such as teaching and nursing.
Read More