Armoured & Luxury
Chauffeur Driven Cars

Discreet Professional Protection

95 Year Old Nazi Collaborator Deported From US To Germany

A 95-year-old former Nazi collaborator who served in the notorious SS as a labour camp guard in World War Two has arrived in Germany after a long deportation battle in the US.

Jakiw Palij has been stateless since a federal judge revoked his US citizenship in 2003. For years Germany refused to accept him as he never had German nationality. After arriving in Düsseldorf he was being taken to a care home for the elderly, German reports say.

The US ambassador in Berlin, Richard Grenell, praised Germany’s new government for resolving the case.

Authorities believed he was the last Nazi collaborator still living in the US, and his residence in the Queens area of New York City attracted protests from residents.

Palij is said to have been born in an area of Poland that is now in Ukraine. In 1943 he went to the Trawniki SS training camp in Nazi-occupied Poland.

Trawniki was notorious because it trained thousands of civilians from the area who went on to become active as death camp guards at Sobibor, Treblinka and Belzec. Its most notorious camp guard was John Demjanjuk, who was convicted by a German court of being an accessory to 28,000 murders at Sobibor. He too was deported by the US, in 2009.

Jews were sent to the camps as part of Operation Reinhard, the Nazi plan to murder more than two million Jews in occupied Poland.

Read More

Spanish Police Stations On Alert As Knife Man Tries To Attack Officers

A man wielding a knife and shouting in Arabic was shot dead as he entered a police station south of Barcelona, Spanish authorities said on Monday.

The attacker, said to be 29 and of Algerian origin, had gone into the building at 05:52 (03:52 GMT) and was shot by an officer on duty.

Catalan police said the attacker had targeted officers. He had shouted «Allahu Akbar» (God is greatest), reports said.

The attacker lived in the town of Cornellà de Llobregat, just south of Barcelona. He had been living in Spain for several years and had a foreigners’ identity number, reports said.

He was named as Abdelouahab Taib by Spanish media, which said he had no known criminal record and lived with a Spanish woman.

The attacker had walked through the building’s entrance where he was immediately challenged by a woman officer with the Catalan force, the Mossos d’Esquadra, and by a sergeant on duty, police sources told the Efe news agency. When the man rushed forward, he was shot.

Read More

Government Takes Back Control Of Birmingham Prison

Birmingham Prison is being taken over by the government from the private firm G4S, after inspectors said it had fallen into a «state of crisis».

Some inmates were scared to leave their cells, Chief Inspector of Prisons Peter Clarke said.

Describing it as the «worst prison» he had «ever been to», Mr Clarke said: «Surely somebody must have been asleep at the wheel.»

The prison will be returned to G4S when «sufficient progress» has been made. A new governor and extra staff are being brought in and the capacity of the jail will be cut by 300.

G4S said it «welcomed» the development as an opportunity to «urgently address» the problems. In a letter, Mr Clarke said there had been a «dramatic deterioration» in conditions following a riot in 2016 and described a lack of order, with those perpetrating violence able to act with «near impunity».

Groups of staff had locked themselves in their own offices, and parts of the prison were found to be filthy, with blood, vomit and rat droppings on the floor.

Read More

Pentagon Report Warns Of China’s Increased Military Capabilities

China’s military «is likely training for strikes» against US and allied targets in the Pacific, a Pentagon report warns.

The annual report to Congress says China is increasing its ability to send bomber planes further afield. The report highlights its increasing military capability, including defence spending estimated at $190bn (£150bn) – a third that of the US.

China has not yet commented on the report.

The warning about air strikes is one part of a comprehensive assessment of China’s military and economic ambitions.

«Over the last three years, the PLA [People’s Liberation Army] has rapidly expanded its overwater bomber operating areas, gaining experience in critical maritime regions and likely training for strikes against US and allied targets,» the report says. It goes on to say it is not clear what China is trying to prove by such flights.

Read More

Four Teenagers Stabbed In South London

A boy is in a critical condition in hospital after four people were stabbed in south London.

The victims, aged between 15 and 16, were attacked outside Landor House on the Elmington Estate in Camberwell on Thursday evening, police said.

One remains critical, another is in a serious but stable condition and the other two were not seriously injured. Six boys, aged between 15 and 16, have been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and grievous bodily harm.

An eyewitness described seeing one boy with severe wounds to his abdomen. He was seen running around the corner of the building before dropping to the ground. The four victims were later taken to hospitals in south London for treatment.

A Section 60, granting police stop and search powers across the area, was authorised until 09:30 on Friday.

Read More