A man armed with two pistols has been shot dead by police after opening fire near a cathedral in New York.
Officers say the incident happened at the Cathedral of St John the Divine in Manhattan on Sunday near a crowd gathered for a Christmas concert.
As yet the man – who yelled « Kill me » as he began shooting – has not been identified.
Police Commissioner Dermot F Shea said it was « by the grace of God » that nobody had been injured.
The carol service – held outside because of Covid restrictions – had just ended when the shooting began. Cathedral staff wrote on Facebook that the man had « set off a round of gunfire into the air » from the front steps. « Everybody is in shock, » cathedral spokeswoman Lisa Schubert told the New York Times. « There were hundreds of people here, and he shot at least 20 times. »
Three officers nearby fired 15 rounds at the suspect after he began to shoot, the commissioner said. At least one bullet hit the man in the head. A bag filled with gasoline, knives, rope, wire, a Bible and some tape was recovered from the scene, as well as two semi-automatic handguns.
« I think we can all surmise the ill intentions of the proceeds of this bag, » Commissioner O’Shea told reporters.
Reuters news agency photographs show the gunman wearing a face mask bearing the flag of the Dominican Republic as well as a black winter coat and a white cap.
Authorities are awaiting fingerprints to confirm his identity, but police officials told the New York Times his identification said he was a 52-year-old man with a previous conviction for second-degree murder and a lengthy criminal record.
Manhattan borough President Gale Brewer confirmed on Twitter that members of her staff had been at the event and thanked the police for their response.