Armoured & Luxury
Chauffeur Driven Cars

Discreet Professional Protection

French army in key Mali withdrawal

France has begun a key stage of its military withdrawal from Mali, four months after sending troops to push Islamist rebels out from the north.

A convoy of dozens of lorries left a base outside the capital, Bamako, on its way south to Ivory Coast.

France began withdrawing some of its 4,000 troops from the country in April.

They plan to gradually hand over to the Malian army and a UN peacekeeping force, which will deploy in July ahead of planned nationwide elections.

Saturday’s withdrawal comes just two days after Islamist rebels targeted an army barracks and French-run uranium mine in neighbouring Niger, killing 21 people. French special forces helped Nigerien soldiers end a hostage siege at the barracks on Friday.

It is not known if the attacks will affect French troop deployments.

Read More

M23 rebels declare truce for Ban Ki-moon visit

M23 rebels in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo have declared a ceasefire for UN chief Ban Ki-moon’s visit to the conflict-hit area, a spokesman for the group says.

Mr Ban has arrived in the regional capital Goma, where one person was killed in a rocket attack on Wednesday.

He said he was deeply concerned by the renewed fighting there.

On Wednesday, the World Bank unveiled a $1bn (£660m) aid package to help DR Congo and its neighbours.

World Bank head Jim Yong Kim, who is also visiting DR Congo, said the money would be used for health, education, cross-border trade and hydroelectricity projects.

At least 20 people have been killed since Monday in heavy fighting between government and M23 forces.

Read More

Woolwich attack and suspects known to security services

Both suspects in the killing of a serving soldier in London were known to security services, senior Whitehall sources have confirmed to the BBC.

One of the suspects is understood to be 28-year-old Muslim convert Michael Adebolajo, according to sources.

He and another man are under arrest in hospital after being shot by police after Wednesday’s attack in Woolwich.

Prime Minister David Cameron has said the UK will « never give in to terror or terrorism ».

Shortly after the killing a man, thought to be Mr Adebolajo, was filmed by a passer-by, saying he carried out the attack because British soldiers killed Muslims every day.

Read More

King Edward VIII bugged during abdication crisis

King Edward VIII was bugged by the government at the height of the 1936 abdication crisis, files released by the National Archives show.

The Home Office ordered « interception of telephone communications » between royal residences and « the continent of Europe ».

The King’s divorced mistress, Wallis Simpson, was in France at the time.

The file also shows police had earlier investigated a reported bomb threat against Mrs Simpson in London.

The information is included in Foreign Office and Cabinet Office papers, which date from World War II and the early Cold War period.

Read More

US confirms four American citizens killed by drones

The US attorney general has acknowledged four US citizens have been killed in drone strikes since 2009.

In a letter to the Senate judiciary committee, Eric Holder defended the targeted killing of Anwar al-Awlaki.

But he said Awlaki’s 16-year-old son as well as two other individuals were « not specifically targeted by the US ».

The disclosure comes as President Barack Obama prepares to make a speech on counter-terrorism and the drone programme on Thursday.

The president will « discuss why the use of drone strikes is necessary, legal and just, while addressing the various issues raised by our use of targeted action », administration officials said.

Read More